The Fairfield Police Department conducted an entrance examination process for probationary police officers in March 2008. We are no longer accepting applications for the position of probationary police officers. Interested individuals can submit a resume for the position of probationary police officers. Resumes are kept on file in the office of the Chief of Police.
Qualifications for Police Officer Applicants
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be over 18 years of age
- Possess a high school diploma
- Be a New Jersey resident
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Have no criminal record
- Written Examination
- Physical Agility Examination
- Oral Interviews
- Background Investigation
- Psychological exam
- Medical examination
- Drug screening
The Mayor and Council may waive the Written Examination and Physical Agility Examination portion of the screening process. Successful candidates will then be hired and appointed to the position of Probationary Police Officer.
After successful completion of the Police Academy, officers are assigned to the Patrol Division for the Field Training Program. All Patrol Divison officers currently work a 12-hour schedule with every other weekend off. After successfully completing the Field Training Program and one year of service, Probationary Officers are considered for appointment to Police Officer based upon their performance.
Salary (Annual) Based Upon 2011 Contract
- 1st Year (Police Officer) $ 30,000
- 9th year (Police Officer) $ 91,457
- Police Officers are eligible for promotion to Sergeant after 5 years of continuous service.
- Officers are considered for other assignments after 3 years of continuous service.
Police Officers are part of the New Jersey Police & Fire Pension System and are currently eligible for retirement with full medical benefits after 25 years of service at 65% of their last year's salary. Officers continuing service beyond 25 years receive an additional 1% annually to a maximum of 70% upon retirement.
- Police Officers receive 80 hours of vacation after the first year of service increasing at a rate of 8 hours per year to a maximum of 200 hours annually
- Officers can earn additional incentive vacation time monthly if no sick time is used
- Officers are eligible for longevity pay at 2% after the 10th year of service and increases of 2% for every 5 years thereafter to a maximum of 8% of their base salary
- Medical, Dental and Prescription Plans
- All initial issue uniforms and equipment provided by the Police Department
- Annual uniform maintenance and clothing allowance
Civilian Police Dispatchers
The Police Department is actively seeking full-time police dispatchers at this time. Please do not forward applications or resumes at this time.
Salary & Benefits
- Police Dispatcher - Entry Level - $35,000
- Complete Medical benefits provided
When applications become available, they can be obtained at Police Headquarters, 230 Fairfield Road, or you may download a Dispatcher Application and submit it to:
Lieutenant Peter Pollack
Fairfield Police Department
230 Fairfield Road
Fairfield, N.J. 07004
Pennsylvania Trio Charged with Possessing Marijuana Intended for DistributionFairfield, N.J.-The Fairfield Police Department announces the arrest of John Bensley (20) of Milford, PA., Jessy Martucci (18) of Matamoras, PA. and Tyler Gallini (27) of Shohola, PA. for possession of...Read More...
- Call our tips hotline: (973) 227-9290
Please call 2-1-1 to report any suspicious activities
Fairfield Police has been involved with the Special Olympics for over 15 years. [learn more]